Join the EngageMedia team!
Our dynamic Asia-Pacific nonprofit is hiring a Digital Rights Manager who will oversee and lead digital rights and digital safety initiatives in Thailand, and support EngageMedia initiatives in the Mekong region more broadly. As part of the digital rights team, the role will lead trainings, develop networks and partnerships, plan and implement project initiatives, and assist with our regional digital rights program strategy.
We are seeking candidates who align with our organisational goals of human rights, democracy, and the environment, and who have a background working with nonprofits. Extensive experience in working remotely and in multicultural settings is a big plus.
The role is full time and open to anyone based in Thailand. You’ll be working with an international team in an agile environment that prioritises a distributed work culture.
Deadline for applications is on Sunday, 19 September 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7). Interested applicants may apply using the form below.
Key Position Aims
- Develop EngageMedia’s Thailand program, and support Mekong initiatives more broadly
- Increase digital rights & digital safety understanding and skills of civil society
- Raise the profile and importance of digital issues, in particular connecting them to the human rights, media, and technology field
- Lead the design and implementation of EngageMedia’s digital safety initiatives in Thailand and the Mekong region
Strategy and Design
- Contribute to and assist in leading EngageMedia’s digital rights and digital safety program and strategy in the Mekong region
- Manage collaborative design and consultation processes with partners and advisers
- Conduct research and produce short reports
- Assist and provide leadership in developing the digital rights field in Thailand
- Lead management and planning for a variety of consultations, trainings, and meetings
- Oversee project logistics, including consultants and assistant staff, for items including travel and transportation, securing event spaces, fulfilling catering needs, and technological support
- Monitor project progress, including documentation, evaluation, and reporting
- Monitor project spending and work with the finance team to manage budgets
- Maintain and file documentation in an organised and efficient manner
- Develop work plans and timelines, and ensure they are followed
- Manage or assist with a variety of digital rights and digital security consultancies, including managing consultants and contracts
Communications and Engagement
- Develop and produce media products to effectively communicate digital rights issues
- Conduct outreach and engagement for the produced media
- Manage the translation and development of media and training materials into and from Thai
Outreach and Partnerships
- Develop and maintain partnerships with a range of individuals and organisations working in the area of Internet, technology, communications, and civil society in Thailand
- Represent EngageMedia in digital rights networks and forums
- Promote relevant materials and publications to Thai civil society
- Advise the Executive Director in fundraising and partnership efforts, including supporting proposal writing, networking, and managing relationships
Trainings and Events
- Develop and implement digital rights networking and learning events
- Directly train civil society members in digital safety and digital rights
- Conduct Trainings of Trainers and local trainings, mentoring and monitoring participants
- Design training agendas
- Prepare and compile relevant training and educational resources
- Actively learn from the field, including documenting and sharing relevant knowledge
- Strong knowledge in digital rights and digital security
- At least 5 years’ experience in project management
- Strong communication skills
- Fluency in the Thai and English languages
- Is based in Thailand
- Experience in a nonprofit or advocacy position
- Familiarity working with multicultural and decentralised teams in virtual workspaces
- Ability to thrive in a constantly changing environment and cultivate relationships across teams
- A proactive and growth mindset
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn new things, build expertise, and develop new approaches
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12-month, full-time, contract will be offered, with annual extensions based on the completion of successful performance reviews.
The annual gross remuneration will approximately be between 20,000 and 29,000 USD, depending on skills, location, and experience.
The position includes the following benefits:
- 4 weeks of holiday leave
- 10 days sick and carer’s leave (with additional 5 days in case of COVID-19)
- 11 days public holiday leave
- 5 days bereavement leave
- 18 weeks parental leave
- 8 weeks paid sabbatical leave after 5 years of service
- Monthly communications and equipment allowance
- Health insurance subsidy
- Personal and professional development allowance
Visa assistance may be provided by EngageMedia as needed, upon approval of management.
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the Internet, and open technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist changemakers to challenge social injustice and environmental damage.
For more information, get to know the EngageMedia team and read about our remote and distributed work practices.
To apply, fill out the application form in this link: https://engagemedia.org/2021/job-digital-rights-manager-thailand/ by Sunday, 19 September 2021, 23:59 Bangkok time (UTC+7).